|Country of Origin||Egypt, Algeria, Libya, Tunisia, Morocco|
|Nicknames and Other Names||Arabian Greyhound|
|Scientific Name||Canis lupus familiaris|
|Bred For||Hunting by sight|
|Size||Medium to large-sized|
|Recognized By||AKC, UKC, FCI, KC, ANKC, NZKC|
|Life Span||10-15 years|
|Ideal Weight||35-50 pounds (male and female)|
|Ideal Height||Male: 26-29 inches|
Female: 24-27 inches
|Fur Type||Short, smooth, tight|
|Common Colors||Cream, Mahogany, red, Sandy|
|Markings||Brindle, Black mask, Black Brindle, |
Darker Overlay, Mantle
|Suitable for Apartments||No|
|Used in World War||No|
|Most Similar To||Azawakh|
Sloughi is a medium to the large-sized dog breed that is known by names like Arabian Greyhound, Arabian Sighthound, North African Gazelle Hound, or Sloughi Moghrebi.
They have a short coat that is smooth and fine which needs minimal grooming once a week. As cold increases, it may develop undercoat to protect itself from cold.
The appearance of the Sloughi is slightly taller than long with a slender body and long legs. They are elegant, graceful, and have swift, effortless gaits.
Sloughi is apartment-friendly and can adjust in an apartment as long as it is taken out some time for play and walks.
Origin and History
The Sloughi was originated in North Africa that includes Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, and Libya. They are an ancient sighthound dog that used to hunt down animals like the desert Hare, Jackal, Wild Boar, Desert Fox, and Hyena.
Sloughi was recognized by United Kennel Club in 1995. The American Kennel Club recently recognized this breed officially, which is in 2016, as a member of Hound Group.
Is the Sloughi Child-Friendly?
The Sloughi is affectionate towards children and thrives to be around them playing or just sitting by their side. They are tolerant of kids and do not react aggressively if they do some pulling.
Children should be supervised while letting them interact with them, as sometimes they might not tolerate harsh behavior. Therefore, kids also should be taught to behave around dogs.
Temperament, Behavior, and Personality
Temperament: Sloughi has a noble, loving, and friendly temperament. They are loving towards their people but are reserved and shy around strangers.
As they were also developed as a guard dog, Sloughi is aloof of strangers. Therefore, they should be carefully involved in socialization from a very early age.
Behavior: Sloughi has a high prey drive which can lead to chasing small animals like cats, mice, and squirrels. If they should be kept together, they need to be raised together from an early age.
Sloughi needs to exercise regularly as a hunting dog and if they do not get the required exercise, they can become anxious. Therefore, take them out for a walk or a play regularly.
Personality: Sloughi has a graceful, loving, and devoted personality. They are not very likely to be aggressive unless they feel that their people are threatened. They form a strong bond with all the family but Sloughi is more attached to one particular person.
Training Sloughi can be difficult to train as they can be stubborn sometimes. Only the owner who understands their energy level and behavior can train them. They need firm leadership with consistency.
Sloughi are eager to please their owner, so while training, reward them with treats and praises as they respond well to positive reinforcements. However, so not be harsh on them by scolding and beating. They will get scared and they may not be able to focus on the training.
- It is believed that Sloughi is translated from Arabic, which means “fast as the wind”.
- The Sloughi breed in Europe and USA is from dogs that are imported from Libya, Tunisia, Morocco, and Algeria.
- According to the DNA test, it is found that the Sloughi share more DNA with the Saluki and the Afghan.
Sloughi average life span is between 10-15 years. Between these years they can face the following health problems:
- Progressive Retinal Atrophy: Progressive retinal atrophy is a disease that affects the retina of the dog. It is not painful but will cause sight loss partially or completely. White cloudiness is formed in the eye causing the dog difficult to see things. It causes night blindness in your dog and they can be nervous. There is no effective treatment currently but you can consult a vet and give antioxidant supplements or vitamins.
- Heart Murmur: Heart murmur is an abnormal beat of the heart that is only heard by using the stethoscope. A turbulent in blood flow in the heart cause this abnormal beat. This condition can only be detected when doing a routine check-up and the veterinarian uses a stethoscope. It is not a very serious situation and does not need any treatments. Proper diet, care, and medication will keep your dog healthy.
The Sloughi comes in following different colors and markings:
- Black brindle markings
- Black mask markings
- Brindle markings
- Brindle black mantle markings
- Darker overlay markings
- Mantle markings
Cost: The average cost of the Sloughi is between $800-$1000 USD. However, if you want to adopt it, the expenses generally come around $300 that includes all the vaccination and care given to the puppy before buying.
Height and Size: The average height of the male Sloughi is between 26-29 inches and the female is between 24-27 inches. The average weight is between 35-50 pounds.
Similar Dog Breeds to Solughi
Visit Dolime for more information about dog breeds history, behavior, training, puppies, and cost.