Affenpinscher Terrier Dog Breed Information
|Country of Origin||Germany|
|Nicknames and Other Names||Monkey Terrier, Diablotin Moustachu, and |
Moustached Devil, Affen, Affie
|Scientific Name||Canis lupus familiaris|
|Recognized By||AKC, ANKC, FCI, CKC, UKC, NZKC, KC (UK)|
|Life Span||12-15 Years|
|Ideal Weight||7-14 Pounds|
|Ideal Height||9-12 Inches|
|Fur Type||Harsh and Rough|
|Common Colors||Red, Black, Belge, Black & Silver|
Black & Tan
|Achievements||Dog Show Wins|
|Suitable for Apartments||Yes|
|Used in World War||No|
|Most Similar To||Brussels Griffon|
Affenpinscher dogs are those breed of dogs that are usually small and often in gray, black, fawn, tan and also red. They are also called ‘Monkey Terrier’ as per the meaning of Affenpinscher in the German language.
Affenpinscher, also known as ‘Diablotin Moustachu’ which means ‘Moustached Devil’ are small, loyal, curious and amusing dogs that are famous are favorite as lapdogs for women.
Origin and History of Affenpinscher Dogs
The breed of affenpinscher was originated in Germany in the late 17th century especially for the purpose of ratting. They are the very first breed of the “monkey-faced’ toy dogs.
At first, this breed was only bred for the motive of eradication of rats and other rodents from granaries, stables, and kitchen but later, it went to be the favorite lapdogs for ladies. It is a very rare species even in Germany after World War II.
Behavior of Affenpinscher Dogs
Affenpinscher is often fun-loving dogs and is very loyal to its owner. This almost-human toy dog is fearless despite his small size and proportion. They are loving and great watchdogs for our homes.
Monkey Terriers are very stubborn when it comes to its behavior. It is very difficult to rear him without any complications. They are also a very curious species that they pay attention to each and every small sound around them.
These ape-like dogs are so playful that if you throw him a ball, he brings it back to you and waits for you to throw it again. They also are quite adventurous and love to explore new things wandering wherever they like.
Affenpinscher love playing with kids and their owner if he’s in a good mood. As it is a very active breed, it will play with you all day long if he’s interested in the game you play with him.
Trainability of Affenpinscher
Because of its stubborn nature, the Affenpinscher is very difficult to train. As it gets bored easily, the owner has to keep him constantly challenged and the training session should be shorter and frequent.
The Affenpinscher create various difficulties while training such as housebreaking, barking and pulling
Facts about Affenpinscher
There are various facts about the breed of affenpinscher that most people don’t know. Here are some of them.
- Affenpinscher was originally bred to kill rats, mice and other vermin that cause difficulty in irrigation of crops.
- Great number of this breed can be found in the houses of the USA.
- They have excellent agility level.
- They are good watchdogs.
- They are small in size i.e. 9 to 11 inches and weigh 9 pounds approximately. They are portable.
- They are very rare species of dogs, even in Germany.
- They should be handled with great care.
- They are the ancestor of two breeds- the Griffen Belge and the Griffen Broxellois.
- They are very territorial and won’t back down from involving into a fight to protect their territory.
- They are not so child-friendly. If they get annoyed, they will surely hamper the children.
|Common Health Issues||Hip Dysplasia, Legg-Calve-Perthes disease, |
Respiratory problems in hot weather,
PDA, Open fontanel, Obesity,
|Vaccination Required||Rabies, Canine Distemper, Leptospirosis, |
Canine Parainfluenza, Kennel Cough,
|Drooling||No, unless sick or hurt|
|Weight Gain Potential||Average|
|Separation Anxiety||High chance|
|Diets and Supplements||18% protein- Adult|
22% protein- Puppy
Fat- omega-3, omega-6
The Affenpinscher is generally a healthy breed with few possible health conditions.
- Obesity: Your dog might face the problem of obesity. It is a condition that occurs when your dog is overweight. So keep your dog fit and healthy with regular exercise as it also may invite other health problems.
- Hip Dysplasia: It is a condition that is caused when the hip joints of your dog are either underdeveloped or dislocated from its original place. Take your dog to a vet for proper check-up and treatment.
Affenpinscher puppies cost approximately $800-$1200 USD.
Dogs Similar to Affenpinscher
The Dogs that are similar to Affenpinscher are –
Visit Doglime for more dog breed information and their behavior and training.